Some experts believe that underlying stress-related mental health conditions can lead to a pattern of behavior that results in frequent disciplinary action. The first question in these cases should always be, why would an individual continue in a pattern of behavior that would jeopardize their job? There is usually always a real underlying reason why someone is underperforming and continually behaving badly.
Knowing the signs and symptoms can help you decide if you or one of your Union members needs help.
At Union Workforce Initiative by Psyclarity Health, we believe that it is vital that Union leaders and members are educated on the wide range of signs and symptoms of behavioral health and substance abuse issues.
Here is a list of some common indicators that a member needs help:
- Carelessness, missing deadlines, low productivity, being reckless/taking risks
- Poor concentration and deteriorating work habits
- Unexplained absenteeism
- Persistent tardiness
- Inability to get along with coworkers, insubordination, other interpersonal problems in the workplace
- Anger issues, aggression, outbursts
- Taking excessively long lunch breaks, going missing for unexplained reasons
- Higher than average accident rate and frequently claiming from Worker’s Compensation
- Borrowing money from coworkers, often not paying them back
- Poor off-duty conduct – DUIs, domestic abuse, arrests for petty crimes
- Inability to provide documentation proving that they are fit for duty
- Deteriorating personal appearance
Norwood, NJ 07648
The Union Workforce Initiative is for educational, training, and awareness purposes only. This is not an Employee Assistance Program. We help build awareness within the workforces of employer/employee assistance professionals, substance abuse professionals, nurses, doctors, and other educational professionals.